Human Head Studios is looking for a few talented people to join our team. If you're interested, please carefully review the information on this page as well as the detailed description of the positions at the links below. It is imperative that you read and follow our submission rules - non-complying submissions will not be considered!
Human Head Studios, Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive salary, bonuses, a full benefits plan and a casual working environment to qualified candidates.
All team members have the opportunity to contribute to their projects on a creative level. When you create a game at Human Head, you've created a game that you should be proud to point out on a shelf and call your own.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Live in the U.S. and be willing to relocate to Madison, WI.
- Be a self-starting, hard working individual capable of maintaining focus within a rigorous, deadline-driven production schedule.
- Be able to work closely on a day-to-day basis with others of different disciplines in an open, team-oriented environment.
- Have a passion for games.
While we may not have a current posting that matches your skill-set, we're always interested in talented, passionate people to join our team! While we cannot guarantee we will have an open position, if you are interested in our company please follow the guidelines under Submission Rules to inquire for a career with Human Head Studios.
Qualified applicants should submit the following materials for all job submissions:
- Cover letter
- Current resume
- Current references
- Salary requirements
- A link to your website (if available), or provided samples of your work including:
- Samples, demonstrations or documentation of work.
- If available, show code or processes developed to solve problems.
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of the particular job you're responding to.
Human Head Studios, Inc.
1741 Commercial Ave, Suite 200
Madison, WI 53704
Due to the volume of applicants, we often cannot respond to inquiries.
Human Head Studios, Inc. is seeking Technology Programmers for our Madison, Wisconsin video game development studio. This position will be responsible for contributing to our existing code base in cooperation with a dedicated team of developers.
- Working with programmers, designers, artists, and QA
- Development of technical design specifications and implementations
- Contributing ideas towards game production and development
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Excellent debugging skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Comfortable working within an established code framework / engine
- Demonstrated knowledge of software engineering practices
- Self-motivated individual passionate about video games
- Expertise in C/C++ and object-oriented design principles
- Multiple shipped game titles to your credit
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Threaded Programming
- Unreal Engine Experience
We're seeking talented, passionate Game Programmers to join our team! At Human Head, Game Programmers are expected to design, create, maintain and modify innovative and industry-leading game features, systems and experiences.
Under the supervision of the Lead Game Programmer, Game Programmers will be required to regularly collaborate with other programmers, designers, scripters, animators and artists to implement and polish gameplay features, systems and assets from beginning to end. An understanding and interest in what it takes to make fun gameplay is critical as Game Programmers focus largely on player-facing systems.
Game Programmers are responsible for working within an existing code base and improving or replacing code, and a solid grasp of optimization, profiling and debugging are also useful.
The production work of a Game Programmer is routinely evaluated by the Lead Game Programmer and CTO to ensure proper quality and implementation, and to ensure that it supports the overall game design requirements.
Game Programmers have no direct personnel supervision responsibilities.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Work in cooperation with other Game Programmers, technology programmers, artists, animators and level designers to design, implement, polish, debug and optimize high quality gameplay features and systems
- Quickly prototype gameplay experiences as requested by Senior or Lead Game Designers
- Take ownership (in collaboration with the team) to ensure that features and systems implemented are presented at quality within in the game experience
- With the Lead Game Programmer, determine tasks to implement features and systems, and accurately determine associated timelines
- Meet project deadlines and milestones as determined by Lead Game Programmer
- Implement features in C/C++ that are CPU and memory efficient
- Demonstrate and apply strong problem-solving and debugging skills in C++
- Write clean, professional, and maintainable code
- Troubleshoot complex problems as they arise, construct solutions to unforeseen design problems in a timely manner
- Proactively problem-solve performance and stability issues when necessary
- Learn and master proprietary tools and technology
- Use, debug, and modify the tools pipeline, as necessary
- 2-5 years of relevant programming experience, with demonstrated understanding of software engineering practices and proven coding skills
- Proficient in C/C++ and object-oriented programming
- Game knowledge and passion and an understanding of the design principles behind games
- Expertise and passion in one or more of the following areas:
- User Interfaces
- General Gameplay
- Able to work independently and learn new skills, self-motivated, able to handle sub-projects with moderate supervision
- Ability to work well in a fluid, changing environment as creative challenges evolve
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated, demonstrates initiative, and a powerful creative drive
- Good communication skills, able to work well under pressure
- A strong grasp of signs and feedback in player-facing systems
Other Helpful Skills/Abilities
- Involvement in at least one full development cycle from conception and brainstorming through pre-production, planning, production, and finalizing the product.
- Experience with open world and third-person games
- Experience with game scripting languages such as Lua
- A passion for playing games with an eye toward analyzing and breaking them down